Loaf or muffins, you decide!
Halloween is my second favourite holiday. So, naturally I need a POWER recipe made of the holidays favourite mascot.
Pumpkin is packed full of fiber, potassium, and anti-oxidants. Its high moisture content gives this recipe a rich and soft texture without adding fat and minimal calories. The chopped walnuts add a satisfying crunch but more importantly, have anti-oxidants and are an omega 3 power house which serves as an anti-inflammatory.
As always, I love creating new recipes to power you through your day any time from breakfast, to work, to the gym!
That being said, dig into this paleo, gluten free, refined sugar free, and dairy free recipe ASAP!
Recipe: Makes 1 loaf or 12 large muffins
- ¾ cup - gluten free rolled oats
- ¾ cup - raw almonds
- 1 tsp - cinnamon
- ½ tbsp - pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tbsp - baking powder
- 1 tsp - baking soda
- ¼ cup - chopped walnuts
- 2 - eggs
- 1/3 cup - maple syrup
- 1/3 cup - coconut oil
- 1 tsp - pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup - pure pumpkin puree
For the glaze…
- ¼ cup - coconut butter (can find at most health food stores)
- 1 tbsp - maple syrup
- 1 to 2 tbsp - almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray OR line muffin pan.
- Grind rolled oats and almonds in a blender or food processor until the mixture is a flour-like consistency and pour into a large mixing bowl. Add the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and chopped walnuts. Mix until blended.
- In a second mixing bowl, beat the 2 eggs with a fork, and add maple syrup, coconut oil (melted), vanilla extract and pumpkin puree. Mix well.
- Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and blend well.
- Pour batter into loaf pan or muffin tin.
- If using a loaf pan, bake for approx. 30 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted in the middle and removed clean. If you choose to make muffins, they will take approx. 20 minutes.
- Heat the coconut butter in the microwave for about 20-seconds, or until it has a smooth consistency. DO NOT OVER HEAT IT. Add the maple syrup, and stir well. Add ONE tbsp. of almond milk and stir well. If it is not smooth, slowly add up to one more tbsp. of almond milk. This glaze can be a little bit fussy to make, but it is totally worth it!
- Wait to ice once loaf or muffins have cooled.